Gynecology Services - Contraceptive Options
Most women can become pregnant from the time they are in their early teens until they are in their late 40s. Birth control (or contraception) helps a woman plan her pregnancies.
We encourage you to read the educational booklet Birth Control on The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists website.
We will tailor a method of birth control to fit your individual needs. Below is a summary of birth control options available to our patients. We have provided links to the pharmaceutical companies websites if you are interested in learning more about these methods.
- Birth Control Pills - pills taken by mouth daily (click here to read about "the pill")
- Birth Control Patch - a small patch placed on skin that is changed weekly (www.OrthoEvra.com)
- Nuva Ring - a small ring placed in vagina monthly by patient (www.NuvaRing.com)
- Depo-Provera - an injectable medication given every three months
- Nexplanon - a single, small implantable rod placed under skin of the inner upper arm that is effective for up to three years (nexplanon-usa.com)
IUDs - small devices placed inside the uterus to provide reversible contraception
- Mirena - contains progesterone, lasts up to five years (www.mirena-us.com)
- Paragard - does not contain hormones, lasts up to ten years (www.paragard.com)
- Condoms/spermicide - condoms plus a gel or foam that kills sperm on contact
- Diaphragm - a plastic or latex cup that covers the cervix
Essure Permanent Contraception in-office procedure
Essure is the most effective* permanent birth control available—even more effective than tying your tubes. Essure is hormone-free, surgery-free and there’s no slowing down to recover. You can get back to your family right away.
Please visit Essure Permanent Contraception for complete and detailed information.
Natural Family Planning
Also called periodic abstinence or the rhythm method. For more information, please click here to read the article Natural Family Planning on The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists website.
Nonreversible contraception for women, click here to read about Sterilization by Laparoscopy.
Your healthcare provider at Siouxland OB/GYN will help you determine which birth control method is right for you.
Please call us today to schedule your appointment at (712) 277-3141.